Friday, February 13, 2009

Wisdom Teeth, Delta Blues, and Droogies

Okay, so for my first major surgery in 4 years, I have three (luckily not yet impacted) wisdom teeth removed today and well, it wasn't as bad as everyone seems to thing it is. I took some Valium about a half an hour before my appointment, and was drowsy on my on my way there (I was driven, don't worry). I got there, and the went through the mandatory "Are you nervous? Do you need me to numb where I'm gonna place the IV?" thing and went into the operating room. The last thing I remember was the nruse saying something to the effect of "You're going to start feeling more and more relaxed until yo-".

Out cold.

I wake up at home,mouth stuffed with gauze, with only a minor headache and an insatiable craving for Vanilla pudding. Thankfully, one of the foods you're allowed to eat is in fact soft pudding, so lucky me. I started watching American Psycho, and it is a spectacular movie in much the same vein as Metamorphosis, a novella we recently read in AP English. I finished it, and watched possibly my favorite dystopian future movie ever, A Clockwork Orange. An adaptation of Anthony Burgess' legendary cult novel, it is by far one of the most twisted movies ever. Hell, less than 30 minutes in, Burgess/Kubrick manage to work in two completely logical rape scenes (I say logical in the sense that they don't fee forced in any way). I recommend both movies it you like twisted storytelling at its finest.

One other thing I did do in preparation was to download some eerie music to accompany my downtime- namely Blue Oyster Cult, The Sword, and Robert Johnson, the most legendary bluesman ever. With only one known song stretching over 2:59, his 29 original recordings are must-haves for aspiring blues guitarists. In general his music is above anything I have ever heard in terms of feeling, soul, and that sense of "He poured his heart into this song" that accompanies blues like a shadow.

It's been about 14 hours since the surgery itself and, other than a dull ache in my lower jaw and one loose stitch end on my top left, I'm actually feeling back to fairly normal.

Gods of Metal, grant me a way of convincing my parents that going to two concerts in Louisville two school nights in a row is a good idea?

(Post- publish: I apologize for the numerous grammatical mistakes in my last post, but the sedative hadn't quite worn off yet.)

No comments: